A blog about learning go and learning computer go. A go beginner tries to improve his game and use their software engineering skills to build a computer go player. Entries about their go reading, computer go reading, go playing, go improvement, go concepts (seki, ko, miai, etc) and progress building the computer go player.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

There is death in the hane

This is a proverb I seem to regularly loose sight of, before being re-taught by various opponents, both human and robotic (igowin seems particularly good at teaching me this lesson). Hopefully by naming my account after the proverb, I'll stand some chance of remembering it.

I suspect that my problem is a symptom of my difficulty drawing a line between strategy and tactics, too often I play an attachment without really considering whether I mean to start a fight and my opponent immediately answers with a hane and I suffer a loss. The loss isn't necessarily the stone I attached with, of course, but it's there somewhere.

igowin / Many faces of go: http://www.netcom.com/~fotland/manyfaces.html

No comments: